The deadline has passed. This page is only here for reference. No late submissions will be accepted.
We are still reviewing submissions! We apologize for the delay. Thank you to all the composers who submitted! We will send notifications by June 30, 2017.
The Nouveau Classical Project is thrilled to announce its 2017-18 Commissioning Prize! This year we have a lower submission fee and a higher commissioning fee. The selected composer will be commissioned to write a work for The Nouveau Classical Project's 2017-18 season.
***IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES AND FAQs THOROUGHLY BEFORE CONTACTING US WITH QUESTIONS. Thank you!
Requirements for Submission
- Composers must submit a work written after 2013 and scored for at least 4-8 instruments.
- Inclusion of a recording is required (MIDI realizations are NOT accepted)
- Composers must submit a proposal outlining idea/s for a new work for The Nouveau Classical Project (300 words max). Proposals for re-worked pieces or arrangements of previous works will be disqualified.
- Composers may only submit one (1) score. Please do not send files larger than 2048 KB. If your file size is larger, visit this page on how to reduce PDF size on a Mac, and this page for PC. Also, this online program will compress the file for you for free!
- Non-refundable submission fee of $7, paid via the online form
- Open to both US and international composers
- Post-secondary and graduate students are also eligible to apply
- Current undergraduate students and high school students are NOT eligible to apply
- Please refer to FAQ below to read more about eligibility. We will update with more questions as we receive them.
Call for Scores Winner
- The winner will be paid a $1,000 Commissioning fee, inclusive of commission and copying costs (NCP will print its own parts)
- Selected composer will be commissioned to write an 8-15 minute piece for flute (dbl. picc/alto/b. fl), clarinet (dbl. bass), violin, cello, and piano) and have the opportunity to work closely with NCP in creating the work (NO subsets; must use complete ensemble)
- This work will be programmed on a concert during the 2017-18 season
- Composer will be required to provide a PDF of a score and parts for the ensemble
- An agreement will be sent to composer that will include deadlines, payment schedule, and the granting of two-year exclusivity to NCP to perform the commissioned work
The winner will be announced by June 1, 2017. Hear the new works by last year's Call for Scores winners David Bird and Isaac Schankler at "Currents" on May 25, 2017 at National Sawdust!
Questions? Please read the FAQs first before contacting us. If your question is not answered below, please contact us at info [at] nouveauclassical dot org. Please do not attach scores, documents, etc. to your e-mail. If you need to reduce your score size, please see directions above.
1. On the time of submission I will have bachelor's degree in music composition. Am I eligible?
2. Do I need to have a college degree to apply?
No, as long as you have the necessary materials and information required for the application, you are eligible.
3. The score I am submitting is not written for your exact instrumentation. May I still apply?
Yes. The score you submit is not for us to perform; it is for us to see an example of your work. The selected composer will be commissioned (paid) to write a piece for our instrumentation, outlined above.
4. Can the score I submit include voice?
5. If the work I submit is over 20 minutes, can I direct you to a selection to listen to?
If you want to direct us to a selection, please:
6. May I submit a work that is scored for less the four (4) instruments, eg 3, 2, 1, or 0?
7. May I submit a piece that I wrote before 2013?
8. May I submit a piece that I wrote in 2013?
9. Is it possible to submit an orchestral piece or anything scored for more than 8 instruments?
10. Can I submit a work that includes electronics?
11. Can my proposal include electronics?
12. I can't compress my file to 2MB! Can I send it to you as an attachment?
Hmm, we're pretty sure you can. Please do not send us an e-mail attachment. Try this first. Let us know if that does not work and we will let you know next steps.
13. Is attendance of the premiere mandatory?
14. Do you have funding for composer travel?
This probably goes without saying, but here it is just in case: The Nouveau Classical Project does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. That being said, we hope anyone and everyone submits for our call for scores!